3 Steps You Can Take to Prevent Rain Damage in Hickory, NC
Rain can cause a lot of damage, but you can take steps to prevent it!
Rain is great for our grass and plants, but it can be problematic for our homes. Each year, rain causes flooding and other damages in homes in Hickory, NC and the surrounding areas. While there’s nothing we can do to stop the precipitation, there are at least 3 steps you can take to prevent damage to your home.
How to Prevent Rain Damages
1. Regularly clean your gutters. We get it—nobody likes to clean their gutters, but they’re not just for decoration. This important system redirects rain away from your home and prevents it from pooling. Fallen leaves, bird nests, and other debris can cause blockage, which can ultimately result in leakage or other complications.
2. Grade your yard away from your home. Your yard should be sloped away from your home; otherwise, gravity will redirect rainwater back to your property. This is especially problematic for homes with basements, but this can affect any home. If you aren’t familiar with grading, it’s always best to hire a landscape professional.
3. Install and maintain a sump pump. Basements tend to be the most susceptible to flooding, but a sump pump can mitigate the damages. This device is installed into the floor of your basement, where it captures and redirects water away from your home. As long as it's maintained, it can save you the headache!
Your Flood Professionals
Rain might be nice to watch from your back porch, but it can lead to unwanted water damages. If rainwater does disrupt your peace, you’ll want a water damage cleanup company to clean up the mess. Fortunately, SERVPRO of Alexander, Caldwell, Burk and Catawba Counties is available 24/7 to serve the Hickory, NC community!
How We Train Our Team
We also hold training sessions to keep our technicians current on the latest trends and best practices!
At SERVPRO of Alexander, Caldwell, Burke and Catawba Counties, we have a team of more than 70 well-trained employees. We believe that in order to provide the best possible customer service, we need to invest in hiring and training the right people. To accomplish this, we have our employees go through multiple programs, such as through SERVPRO HQ, the IICRC, and, in some cases, NADCA.
SERVPRO’s Training Program
At our corporate headquarters in Gallatin, TN, we have a state-of-the-art training facility where SERVPRO employees can experience the mitigation process first-hand. We have a dedicated house that is intentionally flooded so crew chiefs and technicians can learn how to extract water and dry out a home. When possible, we send our crews to this special facility to get the full SERVPRO training experience.
IICRC and NADCA
In addition to SERVPRO’s rigorous training program, we also have our field staff get relevant certifications from the Institute of Inspection, Cleaning and Restoration Certification (IICRC). This organization sets the standards for training and certification in our industry, and we encourage all our employees to get their certification.
Some of our employees also have certifications from the National Air Duct Cleaners Association (NADCA), which sets the standards for the duct cleaning industry. This allows our technicians to be knowledgeable and use the most current methods for cleaning HVAC systems!
A Team of Quality People
SERVPRO of Alexander, Caldwell, Burke and Catawba Counties’ mission is to develop a team of quality people who focus on excellent service, fairness, and mutual respect. That’s why we push our team to be knowledgeable in the services that we provide. If you want professionals to help you clean and restore your Morganton, NC property, call us at (828) 396-1070 today!
3 Digital Resources for Storm Events in Newton, NC
When there's a storm event, there are several online resources to check!
In the age of information, there are thousands of resources available at your fingertips; conversely, that means there are thousands of resources to sift through. At SERVPRO of Alexander, Caldwell, Burke and Catawba Counties, we've seen how storms have caused significant damages to homes in the Newton, NC community, and it’s not always obvious where to look when you need help. That’s why we’re providing 3 of the top online resources for nearly any weather event.
Where to Find Help and Information
1. National Weather Service. The National Weather Service is a government agency that provides weather forecasts, warnings, and other related information to organizations and people across the nation. Their website offers in-depth information and forecasts for any region, including our own here in Newton. If you’re looking for reliable weather updates, this is the place to go.
2. FEMA. The Federal Emergency Management Agency is responsible for helping people before, during, and after disasters. Their website is particularly great if you are looking for information on dealing with many different types of disasters, such as flooding or hurricanes. If you are eligible for federal assistance, you can also visit their site for more information.
3. Catawba County Government. When Catawba County declares a state of emergency, they put all relevant information on their website. In fact, residents were able to file claims if they needed assistance. If there’s any kind of major event, be sure to check their site for news and updates.
Storm Damage Professionals Serving Newton, NC
If there’s a storm event, it’s a great idea to get information from sites you can trust. And if you need cleanup and restoration services, that site is here at SERVPRO of Alexander, Caldwell, Burke and Catawba Counties. We’re available 24/7, so call us anytime at (828) 396-1070!
3 Ways Water Can Damage Your Conover, NC Home
Water damage caused this commercial property to have mold growth and other problems!
If you spill some water on the floor, you can probably just dry it with a cloth or paper towel. But if your dishwasher has been leaking for the past few hours, you’re going to need a certified, water mitigation team. In general, people tend to underestimate how water can affect your home, especially in large volumes. The reality is that it can be quite destructive.
How Water Damages Your Home
If your home Conover property has water damage, you should be aware of how it can affect both your home and your belongings.
1. It can ruin wood. Wood is a very porous material, so when it’s exposed to water, it absorbs it, which in turn causes warping and expansion. If you’ve seen wood flooring buckle, that’s because it has absorbed too much water and can no longer fit into place. This is why wood tends to be one of our top priorities when drying a home.
2. It causes mold growth. Although mold spores are everywhere—including in your home—they don’t generally pose a problem until they’re exposed to moisture. When this happens, the spores activate and begin growing in colonies. When we visit a water-damaged home, we apply an antimicrobial treatment to help prevent mold growth.
3. It can be a health risk. Water is a great breeding ground for many bacteria, which can pose health risks, especially for people with compromised immune systems. Even if the water is initially clean, it can deteriorate within a couple of days. And if the water was already contaminated to begin with, it’s even more important you stay away from affected areas until our team has it cleaned up.
Your Cleanup and Restoration Professionals
Water damage isn’t something to ignore, especially as time goes on. If you have water damage in Conover, NC, our professionally trained team is available 24/7. We can take care of any size disaster, so give us a call today!
3 Ways We Take Care of Our Morganton, NC Customers
Our quality assurance department checks on customers and makes sure they're satisfied and kept up-to-date!
When many of our Morganton customers call us, they are experiencing one of the worst days in their lives. Because of the nature of our business, we put a lot of effort into optimizing our customers' experience. From beginning to end, we want our customers to feel assured that our professionals are helping them get their lives back to normal. There are many ways we accomplish this, but below are 3 of the most important steps we take!
Serving Our Morganton Customers
1. We communicate with our customers. When you have strangers in your home, you want to know what they’re doing and when. Our crew chiefs offer regular updates, explain processes, and answer any questions you may have. We also have a quality assurance team that makes sure you're satisfied both during and after the job. After all, we want you to know and trust that you’re in good care!
2. We immediately respond to disasters. If you have a disaster, you don’t want to wait hours for somebody to help you clean up your home. That’s why our staff is available 24/7 and will respond as soon as possible. Even if you have an incident at 3 a.m. on Christmas morning—we’ll be there to help.
3. We make the restoration process as stress-free as possible. Property damage can be very stressful, so our team does everything we can to help you navigate the process. We’ll help you work with your insurance, restore your belongings, and make sure you understand the next steps in the process. We’re both your helpers and your advocates!
Local Cleanup and Restoration Professionals
It’s not enough to just hire any disaster restoration company—you need to hire one that makes you feel like you’re in good hands. At SERVPRO of Alexander, Caldwell, Burke and Catawba Counties, we do everything we can to provide the best customer service. We're based in Lenoir, NC, but service the entire Unifour region, so if you have fire or water damage and need professional help, you can call us anytime at (828) 396-1070!
Why Do I Need a Water Removal Company for My Hickory Home?
Our team can detect hidden moisture and take steps to dry it!
If you’re like most people with water damage, you want to take care of the cleanup process on your own. After all, who wants to pay for a service when you can just do it yourself? In some cases, that might be the best thing to do, but it’s also important to consult a professional when you truly need their services.
As a water mitigation company, we’ve had many potential customers call us back and decide to clean up the mess themselves. Sometimes we don’t hear from them again, but many have called back with mold growth or worsening conditions. So why exactly do you need a water mitigation company? To prevent additional damages.
Benefits of Using a Water Restoration Company
1. We take care of hidden moisture. When it comes to water damage, there’s often more than meets the eyes. Many materials, such as hardwoods and drywall, are porous, so they absorb water. This can cause the materials to expand, or it can trap the moisture, allowing it to foster mold growth. A water mitigation company, however, has the equipment to both detect and dry these materials.
2. We can prevent mold growth. Mold spores are everywhere, but they don’t pose much of a threat until they are exposed to moisture. When water damage isn’t adequately addressed, it can increase the chances of mold growth. Our team can extract and dry the water, plus we apply an antimicrobial to deter mold.
3. We’re equipped to handle contaminated water. Not all water damage is equal. Some water can be extremely contaminated (such as sewage or flood waters) and poses health risks. In these cases, you’ll need protective gear and specific processes for cleaning up the damage. Our staff is both equipped and certified to handle these situations!
Water Damage Professionals in Hickory, NC
Water damages can come in many different forms and may not require professional help. But it’s also important to know when things are beyond your control. No matter how much damage your home has, SERVPRO of Alexander, Caldwell, Burke and Catawba County is always here to help!
3 Facts Every Hickory Homeowner Should Know About Fires
House fires can quickly get out of hand, so be alert and practice fire safety!
Each year, dozens of Hickory, NC homes have some level of fire damage. In many instances, they occur unexpectedly and can result in thousands of dollars worth of damages. As a fire cleanup and restoration company, we’ve helped hundreds of local homeowners recover from these types of disasters, which is why we want to share some facts you should know about house fires.
Important Facts About House Fires
1. Most fire-related deaths are due to smoke inhalation. Believe it or not, burns aren’t the cause for the majority of fire-related deaths—it’s actually from breathing in the smoke. A combination of heat, carbon monoxide, and a variety of vapors make smoke deadly to inhale. That’s why it’s important to keep low and escape as quickly as possible!
2. Cooking-related fires are the leading cause of home fires each year. Cooking is a major pastime in many Hickory homes, especially around the holidays. But most home fires actually start in the kitchen! So while you should continue to cook, you can mitigate your risk by never leaving the kitchen unattended while in use.
3. A flame can become a major fire in just 30 seconds. Most people think you have a considerable amount of time to escape from a house fire. In reality, you have just a few minutes—at best. Newer home materials burn a lot faster than they used to, so a fire can quickly grow and spread. The moment you spot a flame, you need to act immediately!
Your Fire Damage Professionals
House fires can be extremely destructive, and they shouldn’t be underestimated. If you practice fire prevention and quickly react to hazards, you can mitigate your loss. Fortunately, if your Hickory home does have a fire, our team at SERVPRO of Alexander, Caldwell, Burke and Catawba Counties has experience cleaning and restoring fire-damaged homes!
Common Causes of Commercial Water Damages in Morganton, NC
Water damage can happen to any business at any time. Fortunately, our team can clean it up!
Each year, dozens of businesses in the Morganton area have water damage. At best, these incidents are a minor inconvenience; at worst, they can halt operations and cost the company thousands of dollars. Over the years, we’ve helped hundreds of commercial properties recover from water damages, so we’re sharing some of the most common causes!
Sources of Commercial Water Damage
1. Sprinkler system malfunction. A sprinkler system is a great investment as far as fire safety is concerned. After all, these systems have the ability to control a fire before it gets out of hand! But they also have the potential to cause unwanted water damage, such as if there’s a leak or if they discharge prematurely. While we encourage you to install a sprinkler system at your place of business, it’s equally important that you conduct regular maintenance and inspections.
2. Pipe burst/leak. Your plumbing system contains pressurized water, so when there’s a break in the system, dozens of gallons can burst into your building. Many Morganton businesses have faced this issue, though for varying reasons. Some incidents, for example, are caused by a workplace accident; others are the result of age and a lack of maintenance. Regardless, your property’s pipes should be protected and inspected at all costs!
3. Structural leaks. Your building does more than just home your place of operations; it also protects it from the outside. Rain can cause a lot of damage, which many people experienced over the last couple of years, but the building’s structure prevents that from happening. If there’s a crack or other deficiency in the structure, however, it can allow rain to infiltrate your space. In fact, we’ve seen several buildings that were flooded because of some sort of structural damage.
Your Water Damage Professionals
As we’ve illustrated above, water damage can occur in the most unexpected ways. While it’s not possible to know when and how you’ll have a disaster, you can prepare for the most common kinds. If you regularly inspect your building and water systems, you can hopefully identify issues before they occur. But if you do have commercial water damage, know that our team of water mitigation professionals is always here to help!
How Our Morganton, NC Team Cleans Up Fire Damages
After the firefighters finish their job, our team will come in to clean up the damages!
After your Morganton, NC home has a fire, your priority is to get your home—and your life—back to normal. Our team at SERVPRO of Alexander, Caldwell, Burke and Catawba Counties knows that the process isn’t easy, but we’ve helped thousands of homeowners recover from disaster. If you or somebody you know is going through this process, it can be confusing. That’s why we’re outlining the general fire restoration process—from start to finish.
How We Clean Up Fire Damage
The restoration process can somewhat vary depending on the circumstances, but you can generally expect to experience the following process.
- Assess the damage. The first thing our team will do is come out to your home and inspect the damage. From here, we’ll have a better sense of what needs to be done, and we can develop a tailored restoration plan.
- Extract and dry the water damage (if applicable). In most cases, if you have fire damage, you also have water damage. That’s because the fire department doesn’t help you dry your home after they extinguish the fire. If that’s the case with your property, we’ll take care of the water first.
- Pack out and restore salvageable items. We know how important your belongings are, which is why our team does everything in our power to clean and restore them. Our team first sorts and boxes all of your items, which we then send to our cleaning facility. From there, we use a variety of tools, equipment, and cleaning methods to attempt to restore your belongings to their pre-fire condition.
- Clean your home’s interior. Except in extreme cases, our team will clean soot and smoke damage from your furniture, walls, and ceiling. We use dry chemical sponges and proprietary cleaning products to remove as much soot from affected areas as possible. We even clean your HVAC system, which will likely be overloaded with soot particles and other contaminants.
- We return your belongings. Once we’ve finished cleaning and repairing your home, we’ll return all of your belongings we stored during the restoration process. All of your items are inventoried in our system, so you can rest assured everything will be returned!
Fire Damage Professionals in Morganton, NC
A house fire is not something you’ll want to experience. At best, one will briefly disrupt your life; at worst, it can turn your life upside-down. Fortunately, our Morganton team is experienced and knows how to handle the restoration. If you or somebody you know has a fire, our cleanup and restoration specialists are always here to help!
3 Ways We’ve Improved Our Newton, NC Services
Our crews can clean your air ducts, giving you cleaner air and a more efficient HVAC system.
When we opened our doors in 2009, we were a 3-person team and had the bare minimum we needed to start our own SERVPRO franchise. As we’ve grown over the years, we’ve strived to improve our processes, services, and equipment so we can continue to offer the best service to our Newton-area customers. There are several ways we’ve enhanced our services, but today we’re going to share just a few!
New and Improved Cleanup and Restoration Services
We believe in providing fast, efficient services, which is why we've made some of the following changes.
- We have our own in-house dumpster service. In many situations, our crews have to dispose of debris and unsalvageable items. In the past, we used a 3rd-party dumpster service to provide and remove garbage containers for our crews, but these proved to be costly and had slow turn-around times. In some cases, it could take days before we could get a dumpster to a site for our crews to begin. Now we manage our own dumpsters, which keeps our costs down and allows our team to work more efficiently!
- We have our own textiles cleaning facility. There aren’t many disaster restoration companies in the Newton area that can claim to be a one-stop shop for your restoration needs, but we do! We have a state-of-the-art textiles cleaning facility that we use to clean your damaged clothes, linens, and more. You don’t have to worry about where your belongings go—we take care of everything in-house!
- We perform duct cleanings. Your HVAC system plays an important role in your home, which is why it needs to be constantly maintained. Excessive dust, soot particles, and other debris in your system can lower its efficiency and cause it to overwork. Fortunately, we offer duct cleaning services to the Newton and Conover, NC areas, both as part of the restoration process and as a standalone service!
Your Newton-Area Professionals
It’s our mission to offer best-in-class customer service to Newton and the surrounding areas. As we continue to grow, we’ll continue to improve our processes and the ways we can serve the community. If you have a disaster, know that our team at SERVPRO of Alexander, Caldwell, Burke and Catawba Counties can truly make it “Like it never even happened.”