If you have a fire or water emergency, please call us now at (828) 396-1070

To have the optimal experience while using this site, you will need to update your browser. You may want to try one of the following alternatives:

Fire & Water - Cleanup & Restoration

Keep Warm with These 3 Fireplace Safety Tips

12/14/2021 (Permalink)

Red popcorn bowl and hot chocolate in front of a lit fireplace Fireplaces are great when it's cold, but if you don't use them safely, they can pose a significant threat to your Lenoir, NC home.

Imagine sitting in front of your fireplace while holding a cup of hot cocoa. For many, this is a cherished moment that we look forward to each fall and winter. Now imagine losing control of that fire and much of your home in the process. As difficult as it may seem, fireplace-based house fires are relatively common. Since many Lenoir homes have fireplaces, you should know how you can safely use yours!

Keep Flammable Materials Away

Any time you have an open flame, you should keep the area around it clear. Unfortunately, a lot of homeowners keep decorations, furniture, and other items around their fireplace. All of these objects pose a potential fire risk, especially if they are highly flammable (such as Christmas trees). Any time you plan on using your fireplace, be sure to create a clearing of at least 3 feet.

Open the Flue While in Use

When you use your fireplace, you probably prefer the smoke went out the chimney instead of through your home. That’s what the flue damper is for — to open and close the flue so you can control what goes in and out of your chimney. Before you start the fire, make sure the flue is open so the smoke can travel through the chimney; otherwise it will have nowhere else to go and force its way into your living room.
It’s just as important to close it once the fire has been fully extinguished — you don’t want heat to escape!

Never Abandon Your Fireplace

One of the worst things you can do with a fire is abandon it. Any fire can get out of control within seconds, so it’s a bad idea to leave your fireplace unattended. If you’re going to leave the room for any amount of time, be sure to put out the flame or have somebody else monitor it!

Don’t Let Your Fireplace Ruin the Season

As temperatures continue to drop, we’ll find ourselves spending more and more time indoors. While we certainly encourage you to keep warm, we also encourage you to do so safely. If you do have a house fire, though, don’t fret! SERVPRO of Alexander, Caldwell, Burke and Catawba Counties is available 24/7 to clean up soot and smoke damage, so if you live in Lenoir, NC, call us any time at (828) 396-1070!

Other News

View Recent Posts