How to Prevent Mold from Growing in Your Home
Preventing Residential Mold damage
In Bethlehem, mold damage cannot only compromise your health, but it can also be costly. Fortunately, there are things you can do to prevent mold from forming in your home. Here are several tips to help you get started.
- Monitor the humidity levels for any potential Bethlehem mold damage problems. Indoor humidity monitors can be purchased at your local home improvement store. Ideally, levels should be between 35% and 50%. However, in the middle of the summer, you may have readings that reach as high as 55%. Anything higher and you need to investigate and repair the source of the extra moisture.
- Get rid of clutter. Clutter can block airflow in your home and prevent your HVAC system from properly circulating air. In addition to getting rid of any excess items, be sure that furniture and curtains are not blocking any vents or grilles in your home.
- Be sure your thermostat is set to the right temperature. If a thermostat is set too low, your home is prone to cold surfaces that result in water condensation. However, thermostats that are set at too high a temperature often prevent your air conditioner from dehumidifying the air properly and create mold in the Bethlehem home. To combat moisture, it is suggested that you set your thermostat to 78 degrees F during the summer months. When you are away from home, set it to 80 degrees F, but don’t go any higher.
- When the air is running, shut the windows and doors. Open windows and doors to allow humid air into your home, which often causes condensation.
- SERVPRO suggests addressing any standing water immediately. Take the time to check for dampness or puddles around basement doors, freezers, hot water tanks, windows, and hot water tanks, while also inspecting crawl spaces for foundation leaks or groundwater dampness. If you identify a potential Bethlehem mold damage problem, call the appropriate service person to take care of it.
- Invest in a dehumidifier. Dehumidifiers are designed specifically to remove extra moisture from the air. Both portable and whole-house systems are available.
Locally Owned Company with National Resources
As a locally owned and operated business, SERVPRO of Alexander and Caldwell Counties is ready to respond to your mold damage emergency. Our highly trained technicians have access to top quality equipment and are ready to help residents of Lenoir, Stony Point, Bethlehem, Granite Falls, and the surrounding areas. Call us at (828) 396-1070 today!