5 Things You Should Do After a Fire
Fires can happen anywhere to anyone. In most cases, however, people aren’t aware of the proper things to do after the disaster subsides. As fire and water cleanup professionals, we wanted to share some of the tips we’ve learned from years in the industry!
- Call a fire cleanup and restoration company. This might seem self-promotional, but it really is important. A professional company will not only do the cleanup (which is not as simple as it might seem), but they will also be a great asset in making sure you get your life back to normal as soon as possible.
- Change out your HVAC filter. The smoke a fire produces contains a mixture of particles and chemicals that infiltrates the air. This heavy gas takes a toll on your HVAC system and makes it run less efficiently. Replacing the filter will allow fresh air to pass more easily through your home.
- Keep your hands clean. Besides maintaining your hygiene, clean hands will keep them free from soot. If you touch anything with soot-covered hands, you are likely to soil your furniture and belongings even more.
- Minimize movement in your home. When you walk around, you disturb soot particles in the carpet. By moving around, you risk the particles settling into your carpet and upholstery, which makes them much harder to remove.
- Clean both sides of indoor plants. While your plants might not survive the fire, the ones that do will likely be suffocated by the residue left from the smoke. Clean both sides of the leaves to ensure that the plants can survive and flourish!
Fires are stressful and come with a lot of hardships. But if you review these tips and call SERVPRO of Alexander and Caldwell Counties immediately, you’ll be able to get back on track in no time!